History of the Vulcan
The 1914 Vulcan was first used in a coal mine in southern Alberta and then at sodium sulphate mines in Alsask, SK and Bishopric, SK. In 1958 the WDM received the engine and operated it at the Museum in Saskatoon until the mid 1970s. Shortly after the WDM opened in 1976 in Moose Jaw, the Vulcan was transferred from Saskatoon. Track was laid on the Museum grounds and the engine restored. An extensive rebuild was undertaken in the late 1980s and a new boiler installed in 2010. It is the only operating steam locomotive in Saskatchewan.